Student Organization Elections
Welcome to the SILS Student Organization Elections! If you are interested in running for a student organization position, please read the following information very carefully:
- When are student organization elections? Elections for all SILS student organizations are held in November in order for the newly elected officers to start in January of the next year.
- How long are the officer terms? If elected, you will serve as an officer from January 2020 to December 2020. So you must be present at SILS for that entire stretch of time!
- Can I self-nominate for a position? YES! Self-nominations are allowed and encouraged. If you are interested in a position, you should go for it!
- What positions are available?All positions for all student organizations are up for re-election every year. Since most officers aren’t present for an entire second term, it is unlikely that anyone will run for re-election.
- How many positions can I nominate myself for? As many as you like! There is no official limit for positions, although people typically only do one, or two at the most.
- How long should my candidate platform be? As long as you want it to be. Ideally, you would show why you are interested in the position as well as what ideas you have for next year, but it’s very flexible.
Note: All current officers will NOT be running again for student organization positions as most of us will not be present for the entire term of January 2020 to December 2020. So you will not be running against an incumbent when you submit your nomination!
- Self-Nominations to appear on the Student Organization Election ballot will go out on October 30th through the SILS-Announce list serv. You can submit your nomination from October 30th until November 13th. Your nomination will then be published to the Candidates Page on the ILSSA website for all of SILS to view. Both of these pages will be onyen-protected and will not be open to the public.
- Student Organization Elections will happen from November 14th to November 24th. A Qualtrics survey will be sent out on November 14th to the SILS announce list serv AND the SILS Student Newsletter ONLY for student organization positions that have more than one person running. In cases where only one person has submitted a nomination for a particular position, they will automatically be elected to that position. These names will still appear on the ballot, although there will not be an option to vote for those positions.
- The Qualtrics survey will close on November 24th, at 11:55 pm. Results will be tallied and positions will be offered individually at first so nominees can officially accept. Once all positions have been accepted, ILSSA will make an official announcement via the SILS-Announce list serv the following week.
- If you would like to read more about what each student organization position entails, please click on the corresponding organization link below:
- ILSSA (Information and Library Science Student Association)
- SLA (Special Libraries Association)
- SCOSAA (Student Chapter of the Society of American Archivists)
- COYL (Coalition of Youth Librarians)
- SCALA (Student Chapter of the American Library Association)
- ASIS&T (Association for Information Science and Technology)
- Checked Out
- AMLISS (Art and Museum Library and Information Student Society)
- For further information, please reach out to the current officer via email with any questions that you have. You can find a list of current officers on the SILS student organizations page.